Every helping hand makes a difference.
With the right network of support, our youth are capable of unlocking solutions to the world’s toughest problems, such as eliminating poverty and disease, conserving finite resources, and creating renewable energy sources.
When you volunteer with Oregon MESA, we are able to expand our service areas, extend our programming and offer life-changing opportunities to more students.
Please complete the form at the bottom of the page to contact our Volunteer Coordinator.
VOLUNTEER AT MESA DAY
Every spring our students from all over the state of Oregon get to show off their accomplishments that they’ve been working on all year at MESA Day. Each year we need new volunteers for this exciting event. Learn more about MESA Day, or go straight to the volunteer sign up form.
- Total time commitment: approximately 6-8 hours
- Experience in a STEM or education field is strongly preferred
- If not employed in a STEM or education field, please specify, as we have a small number of other positions available
- Attend an advance training
- Work a designated shift at MESA Day
Give a Presentation to Students
If you have knowledge that you would like to share about STEM careers, internship opportunities, or college access, we may have an opportunity for you to present to our students and/or their families.
- Total time commitment: approximately 2-4 hours, depending on the activity
- Create a presentation, speech, or materials to give out to students
- Travel to the event and speak to our students and families about your specific topic
Become a MESA Mentor
We are always looking for community leaders and industry employees to work with our students as they develop group engineering projects and begin applying for post-secondary education. To create an effective bond with our students, we ask mentors to make a long-term commitment to a specific chapter program.
- Total time commitment: approximately 90-100 hours over 11 months
- Attend 3-4 curriculum trainings per year
- Attend 3-4 professional development meetings
- Travel to a MESA school (with reimbursement for public transportation)
- Work with students on engineering projects during weekly, hour-long chapter meetings
- Submit to a background check
Become a College and career workshop leader
MESA College and Careers (MC^2) is a program serving MESA middle and high school students with crucial resources and opportunities in college readiness, financial aid, professional development, and career exploration. MESA needs volunteers to lead and support workshops in each of these topic areas.
- Total time commitment: 3-8 hours per workshop
- Experience or education in fields related to college access, STEM industries, professionalism, or career advising
- Attend required MESA trainings, ranging from 1-4 hours, depending on topic
- Conduct evaluations of your program’s success and report to College Access Coordinator
- Teach college, career, and professionalism curriculum to approximately 15-20 students
- Submit to a background check